Mix #1: Honey in the Sun
1. Lacrosse-I See a Brightness
2. Ray Rumours-Meaningless Words
3. Lavender Diamond-Here Comes One
4. Of Montreal-The Repudiated Immortals
5. Dirty Projectors-Stillness is the Move
6. God Help the Girl-If You Could Speak
7. Camera Obscura-Honey in the Sun
8. The Dodos-The Strums
9. Chris Garneau-Fireflies
10. Casey Dienel-Doctor Monroe
11. Regina Spektor-Folding Chair
12. Michael Andrews-5 on a Joyride
13. Oh No! Oh My!-Lisa, Make Love! (It’s Okay!)
14. The Lucksmiths-Southernmost
15. Pulp-A Little Soul
16. Belle & Sebastian-The Stars of Track and Field
Hello, I’ve made a mix for you.
It’s green grass fields and impossible blue skies, it’s hookah and storytelling in dimly lit living rooms, books with pages eaten by travel time on trains, grass and dirt stains on knees, skirts held down against the summer wind, conversations and colors of eyes, fingertips and painted nails, blasts of air conditioning on skin, waking up at two in the afternoon and sleeping when the birds just start to sing outside, frozen cookie dough and countless cups of water with ice cubes clinking against the sides, heat clutching to skin like a lover, boredom and anticipation and restless tapping feet, clothes that stick to thirsty for air backs, sizzling gray pavement that never ends, familiarity and contempt and most of all it’s the undeniable touch and whisper that it is summer.
But summer that bites back, summer that slips and slides in bruises and cuts, screens that won’t flash to life and expectations denied, days that go on for too long and not falling asleep on beds that aren’t quite right, coffee shops and glances and conversations that leaves a bitter aftertaste, scenes that should be zipped and sealed and sawed to pieces. Summer that beckons with a sleazy finger, a come on, a challenge, hey you, I am nearly at my end, what now?
Now this: there is nothing we can’t do. There’s still beauty in everything, and saxophones and honey in the sun, eyelashes that catch my sweat, weekends away, snaps and whistles, blue checky shirt and a dress, selling days we can’t afford, death of a ladies’ man, one, two, three four shots of happiness, I’ll take care of you if you take care of me.